if you are anything like the sikham's we host a lot. sometimes uninvited guests (wont mention any names but there is a lot of repeat offenders! i love you still i promise :) !! ) sometimes invited and everything in between. our house is often a snack pit stop, last minute dinner reservation or a convenient drop in facility! which we love by the way!
we love to eat, and eat and eat and eat and so do most of the people who stop by
in all my modesty i think i am a pretty darn good chef. watching cooking shows, trying new recipes or for heck's sake winging it like i too often do. but in reality you don't always have the time to make a perfectly crafted meal!
in case you missed it from earlier- we like to eat! our fridge is stocked with everything always and our bevy selection is out of this world- always.
we can whip up a tasty meal in no time but we usually don't have a cake ready to be iced if you know what i mean.
that being said i've put together some pretty spectacular desserts right on the spot.
Find my top 5 go to in a jiffy summer desserts that will make you look like a tiny bit of a martha stewart in the kitchen without breaking your back or the bank!
1. PIES! because its summer time its probably safe to assume you have some seasonal fruits in your treasure trove! the 3 safest and easiest are Blueberry, Strawberry and Apple
recipe: Filling- mix washed and dried fruit with cinnamon, melted butter, brown sugar and vanilla extract
Crust: i always have some pre- made ready to roll pie crusts in the freezer for emergency dessert dates! If you don't have any crust nor the time to make it fresh you can always make a crumble with Oats, brown sugar, butter and sprinkle the top with walnuts!
cook in the oven for 30-45 minutes at 400 C. not only will your mouth love you- your house will smell magnificent too!
2. WARM COOKIES & ICE CREAM! We usually always have cookies in our pantry. Chocolate chip or Macadamia Nut. Toss them in the oven at 375C for 10minutes and you've got yourself a freshly warmed cookie which you can always pretend is freshly baked (shhh). Top it off with some ice cream and some seasonal berries and your good to go!
3. CARAMELIZED BANANA. going bananas over bananas. on medium heat melt butter and lightly caramelize banana halves. Top with whipping cream and add some coconut flakes on top for added flavour and a feeling of tropical paradise! lemon zest goes a long way too!
4. MILKSHAKES. bring all the boys to the yard with summer classic. who can turn down a milkshake? nobody! you can virtually add anything into your blender with ice cream and it will taste like summer in your mouth. My favourite go to is always strawberry. For extra rich and creamy tasty, and extra calories fill the bottom quarter of the glass with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and top with blended mixture. serve with a spoon and some fresh berries for decor! a fancy straw always helps too!
5. POPSICLES- these are the healthiest of the bunch! Puree fruit of choice in a blender, add sugar, yogurt and pour into popsicle molds. You can also freeze in single serve dishes for ease and wee bit more sophistication. Freeze atleast 3 hours.
all this has me craving a little sweet treat, so im heading into the kitchen and hoping these super quick, easy and tasty recipes can help you when your in a pickle this bbq season! if you have any recipes share them below, id love to add some to my growing list! Happy Eating and Happy Summer!
- taj :)